Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mollly's Recipes

Joan gave me the most wonderful gift last thursday, it is so beautiful,

Molly's recipe book.

Molly is my great-great grandmother.

I love her because she is my great-great grandmother, but also because she is Jesse, i was named after her (of course her really name in Jessie, but she decided to spell her name after her favorite uncle Jesse, we didn't work it out until after I was born and even then I think I would have preferred to be named the way she wanted to be named). We call her Molly because after she was divorced she didn't think mum was really right, and that Jesse was disrespectful, so we ended up with Molly.

So Molly's recipe book, it is circa WW2. there are beautiful recipes such as a rye bread recipe which was given to her by a friend during the bread strike of 1943 (of course I can't find anything about the brisbane bread strike of 1943).

I think it is fascinating that her recipes are almost all sweets, I guess most savory meals consisted of meat and three vege, it boggles my mind that she would have never tasted pasta when I eat it multiple nights of the week.

I have my very last university exam of my undergraduate career on the 15th of November, so on the 16th of November I plan to start cooking. And I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment